PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mosaic Bunny-$5 challenge

The Decorating Voice is hosting a Spring Fling today. Go over there and check out all the beautiful decorating ideas when you are done here!:)

Meet Mr. Bunny, aptly named by Ashton the 4 year old. I caught him out in the yard trying to eat our flowers!Here he is, trying to get away!

I caught him on the mailbox...


And we fed him some carrots to get him to stay!:)

Ever since I saw Lindsay post about the $5 challenge, I have been busting this guy out. I'm not gonna lie, it was a challenge! Not financially, but time-wise. I worked on it 20-30 minutes everyday for about 2 weeks.


I bought the paper mache bunny form for $2 at a garage sale, and I bought the black glass beads that I used for his eyes from Dollar Tree. The stained glass and grout I already had, and I used Weld-bond glue to adhere all the tiny stained glass pieces. Technically, I only really spent about $3, because everything else I had on hand.


Here is a wrap-up of the two week process:


I was going to do a full on tutorial for you guys, but I don't know if anyone would really want one. It is super time intensive. But here are a few tips if you ever decide you want to mosaic on paper-mache (there are tons of cute paper mache forms out right now, Michaels has a whole aisle of them):



  • Make sure you seal the paper mache really well. I used two coats.

  • Don't use tile, because it is too heavy. Stained glass works well.

  • Take your time. Move your piece around a lot so everything looks even.

  • When grouting, use a "dry" grout. Meaning don't mix a lot of water into the grout.

If you have any how-to questions, just ask. I'll be glad to answer.

Also head on over to Living with Lindsay and check out what all the other cheapskates, I mean frugal, creative women are doing!:)

Barb from Grits and Glamour is Hosting a Bunnies on Stick Party. Go check it out as well!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute cute!!!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

He's adorable!

Amanda said...

How cute! He's precious. Great job and very creative!

Unknown said...

Is that a real flower in your garden? Holy cow! Where the heck do you live?!
The bunny came out really well. Your mosaics are gorgeous. :)
-Mrs. Petrie

Amber Filkins said...

How cute!

And, love the name, Ashton. We lost a baby back in September, and we named him Ashten. This is the second time today I've heard his name. But this time I'm not crying. :)

Amy said...

What a wonderful mosaic bunny! Very creative idea. Just adorable. Amy :)

sara said...

Great job, Chrissie!!!! What a cute bunny!

Ali said...

I love him! So cute, this is going on my project list for sure! =)

Morgan | Mrs. Priss said...

very adorable! I'm definitely going to have to join this challenge!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Wow, love this. What a great idea and soo cheap

Tiffany said...

Very cute! I think it will be very worth your time since you'll get to enjoy it year after year. Thanks for sharing!

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

What a beautiful bunny that will be around for many springs to come!

Linda said...

How cute. I hope he remembers to come in out of the rain. Such a creative way to use paper mache.

Charmingdesigns said...

I love your bunny!!! Laurie

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

He turned out really cute! I've done some mosaic and I know it's time consuming!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Amazing job. You hit this challenge right out of the park!

stephanie h said...

That is adorable!!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Beautiful...I love that little bunny! I am sure that alot of time and love was put into each piecing of that stained glass. You are an amazing artist!

~Amanda

Gone Overboard said...

OMG! too cute, so much work...

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oh my that is amazing! I know how long that would take. I once did an apple with little pieces like that. I vowed to never do that again. I have totally been lovin on your blog. I envy people who could paint. I love your house rules. I want one. If I am ever in Orlando maybe you could give me a lesson. :-)

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Oh, goodness! That's just amazing! What a talent you have!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Wow, beautiful work!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Holy Smokes! I can only imagine how time consuming that precious bunny must have been. He is as cute as can be though and an heirloom for your children...someday! Gorgeous work.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll just enjoy looking at yours!

Donna

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I am telling you, I just love this. I want to try mosaics so bad...and your bunny is darling! Happy BoaS day!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Oh you are so pretty! I have always wanted to try mosaic, I have enough china and such to cover my whole house. :-D I just loved the bunny. I can't wait to come back and check out more of your posts. Thanks for joining in on today's party. Blessings, Barb

Lynda said...

You did such an outstanding job on your mosaic bunny! Too cute!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

What a cute little stinker...eating your flowers! :-) Love your frugal bunny! Susan

Girly Stuff said...

How LABOR INTENSIVE is that??

I feel like I need glasses now!

But it turned out great and very unique! I love the pink grout!