PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Face Painting, or, How to Make a 4 year old Happy

Ava, like a lot of other four year old girls, is infatuated with fairies and princesses.
Her BFF and her have spent countless hours the last few months playing pretend princess and fairy.
The other day I remembered I had a pretty cool book on how to draw them.
Ava suggested face painting...and you would have thought I had told them they could have hot fudge sundaes for dinner:)
I used regular old acrylic paint (non-toxic) and they were tickled pink! (By the way, I consider myself to be a pretty good painter, but face painting is a whole different story! I'm going to have to use much smaller brushes next time. Fortunately, they are not art critics. ;)
Also, if you decide to do it with your kids, and you take them outside for a few pictures, you may want to clean up first...
...or a certain younger sibling may help himself. Not that I would let that happen or anything.
I'm linking up to Simply Feather's "Paint with Me Thursdays." This weeks theme was toys.
DON'T FORGET TO COME BACK TOMORROW FOR THE "MY FAVORITES" LINK UP PARTY. THERE MAY BE A GIVEAWAY TOO...HINT HINT

11 comments:

{cindy} said...

Oh how fun!!!
My 6 and 8 year old would have loved to be at your house too! I think good old fashion face painting is good for quite a few years in a child's book!!:)
Enjoy the day!

PS I am loving that book Simplicity Parenting you recommended awhile back! I can't seem to read it fast enough!!

Appleshoe said...

I love this post. Thank you, it painted a smile on my face :)

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh how much fun is that? Lots!!! I've had a few face paintings myself as an adult. The granddaughters always insisits it'm my turn next. LOve the little "Sunflower" at the end (last pic). He just wanted to play too!! Cute smile. Your daughter and her BFF looked great. Oh to be a child again, with carefree days of princesses and fairies. Ah but we can dream them up in our own play time now can't we. Just like you did with these sweet children.
Happy Earth Day,
Tess

nikkiloohoo said...

So cute!

blue china studio happy said...

Very cute! I like your spin on the "Toy" topic.

Jen said...

Adorable! That first photo is an award winner. I was paid $50/hr once to paint kids faces at a work picnic. Can you imagine someone paying me that much? To paint faces? It was a blast! The squirmy ones (almost all of them?) are tough, though.

Artfulife said...

I have tried my hand at face painting also & it is hard! So fun that you did this with your girls.

feather said...

regular old acrylics, huh? who'd a thunk it? how fun simple things are...your pictures are fun to look at. they made me smile. and how cute are those fairies?!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

i had no idea you could use acrylics. what a great idea! can't wait for tomorrow! i'm off to my class and then i'll be back to work on putting together my post. i can hardly wait.

Steph said...

What an awesome way to play with art! They are precious. You are a creative mom (and fun too... if I hadn't caught this from the face-painting idea in the first place; I could surely tell by the last sunny smile high-lighted in yellow).

I came over from Paint with Me Thursday.

Michelle Heffner - Professional Face Painter said...

Hey there - cute kids!

Please remember that using acrylic paints (and other products that are not meant for use on skin) is a bad idea.

Non-toxic does not mean "Ok for use on the face, near the eyes and nose and mouth."

There are many products on the market that are much better, even for a rainy day activity :)

You can find them at your local craft store with the "Klutz" books.