PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 28, 2009

A little burlap goes a loooooong way...

It seems like Burlap is all the rage! After Rhoda announced her Burlap Party, I wanted to see what I could do with it.
I bought 1 yard of burlap at Joann's for 1.99. I made three projects with it and I still have a lot left! A little burlap goes a looooooong way!
(And since burlap is so inexpensive, it is definitely a frugal find. Go to Shabby Nest for other Frugal Friday ideas!)

Project #1 Burlap Lampshade
(doing my lamp up Nester style. Go here to see some ladies who really love their lamps!)

I bought the lampshade at Goodwill for $1.99. I already had the lamp base from a thrift store a while back. I made a template and hot glued the burlap right onto the lamp shade.

Here it is in the day time. I printed a "5" from the computer, cut it out, and traced it directly onto the lampshade with a sharpie. I used brown acrylic paint to paint it in. (5 stands for all our children:)

Here it is with the light on. I'm really happy with how it turned. What an inexpensive project!

Project # 2: Posie Brooch
(using scraps of material and scraps of burlap)



In the summer my traditional outfits consist of shorts and plain tank tops or t-shirts. I thought this would be a fun way to embellish an other wise boring outfit. These are so easy and so cheap. I'm gonna make lots more! I'll do a tutorial for you next week.


Project # 3: Burlap Matte
I've had this matte for two years now. I bought it to frame a wedding picture for our bedroom, but never did it. I thought instead I'd make a piece of art for our Master bedroom.
I used a hot glue gun and scissors and basically wrapped the burlap around the matte. Super easy. Inside is some leftover material that I love and the words are cut out of material and ironed on with Heat n Bond. Looking at it now I wish I had used a light blue material, but I'm not going to do it over.
One night I will sit down with light blue embroidery thread and sew the letters on.



Thanks for looking at all my new burlap projects.
I will definitely be using it again!
xo,
Chrissie

27 comments:

Adrienne said...

All wonderful... the frame is my favorite and blue embroidery will just make it better!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

You rock girl! I am going to shamelessly copy that burlap lampshade...it's MAHvelous!

~Amanda

Jill said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your projects!!!- i must go and buy some burlap now...:)
Many Blessings!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I'm a huge fan of burlap, and even more so now that I've seen your projects.
:)

Paul and Cheri said...

A zillion years ago (before you were born) we used to paint on burlap ... big colorful 60's peace signs and rainbows and doves flying over the rainbows and all things 60's. They were always poster size and hanging somewhere close to strings of beads. Not nearly as elegant as what you've thought of here ... still fun to remember! They made great thick canvas and didn't require framing because you could just block them and hang them. Seems like I remember using potato/carrot sacks for them. BIG! Free ... cheap ... fun!

Tanya said...

Oh you've given me the inspiration to finish my bedroom lamps. I've been wanting to cover the shades in burlap. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

very, very CUTE!!

Heidi said...

That lamp shade is just the coolest! The brooch is very sweet too!

Beth Anderson said...

All 3 are all fabulous!

Sarah said...

We also have 5 children, I love your ideas! I am also finding burlap is exploding into home decor. If it is that cheap it might be time to experiment! :) Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

How cute all these projects are! And you know I love me a burlap lampshade. Yours is great too. Thanks for joining the party.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Your burlap projects turned out great! I love the lampshade with the 5 the best.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Your burlap projects turned out great! I love the lampshade with the 5 the best.

lori vliegen said...

awesome projects, chrissie!! :)

philben5 said...

Great burlap projects!! I'm loving the lamp shade.
Blessings
Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the lampshade I love the 5!

Wendy said...

Okay, so I'm sure I don't even have to say ti, but I adore that lampshade!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for linking!

Fresh Poppy Design said...

now I want to get some burlap! Suepr cute!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Burlap rocks! We are now working in a chair seat that we are hoping to post very soon! LOVE your shade!

stephanie h said...

Love it all! Especially the lamp shade!

MaRiN said...

I've been on the hunt for the perfect fabric to re-cover a lampshade...now you've got me think'n burplap! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love your burlap projects! The lamp looks so cute on your table. I can't wait for the flower tutorial!

Anonymous said...

So cute! Love the broach.

Bahama Shores Mama said...

I puffy heart burlap, too. Great projects!

Anonymous said...

I can't say that I've ever worked with burlap. You've inspired me to check it out. Great job!

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

I MUST cover a lamp with burlap! Too cute to add the number and represent your kids too!

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Awesome! Burlap, huh? I've never worked with it either... but now, I MUST try it! ;)

I love the projects! I think the last one is my favorite - so cute!