PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Making the Decision

Let me be frank here. My kids have been out of school for one full week now.  It's been a little bit of a struggle!

(Lipstick found and still not washed all the way out of his hair!)
The older two are so used to being micro-managed all day long at school that they have had a hard time adjusting to the fact that they can play and then when they are done with that play some more.  They keep coming to me for something to do.  I am a firm believer in playing for the sake of play, so I will start projects with them and then hope that their imaginations take over.  It has been slow but they are slowly getting used to being in summer mode.

And Mama here is not used to having all four, 24/7.  Let's just say that those 6 hours of school have been missed just a little...Did I mention that the heat here in Central Florida has been record breaking?  Temperatures feel like 109 today and that severely limits any outside activities.

I woke up yesterday morning with a tiny bit of dread.  I wanted a day void of silly nit-picks and arguments.  A day when I didn't have to raise my voice about this mess and that mess.  A day where I could maybe find 20-30 minutes to quilt (alone...please).  I prayed for some patience.  I prayed for some patience.  And then I prayed for a little more.

And then...it hit me.
It was all about a decision.  I decision I could make.  A decision to have a good day or a bad day.  A decision to embrace the messes and the boredom.  To actually enjoy them.  To let go of toys strewn everywhere and wet pool towels laying all over the carpets.  To build blocks and watch Tom and Jerry with them.  To get in the pool and splash and yell and not worry about the time.  To help them build forts and get out all the sheets and chairs.  To set up that art project they've been begging for with paint.  To make the one millionth snack of the day.

Because one day they will all be grown up.  Because one day they will have memories of their childhood summers.  Because one day I will be here with all of the time in the world to have a clean home and I will miss their stinky fingerprints.  Because eventually I will have all day to quilt if I want to and I will miss their sweet voices asking me to play with them.

So I am making the decision to have fun this summer.  Do you want to join me?  Let's suck the marrow out of life!

9 comments:

simply staci said...

Thank you for your words! I am thinking the same thing . . . that I want just a few minutes to quilt, or read, or whatever, so I bought a puzzle to throw down on the dining room table, we're getting our sheets down to make tents, and we're going to PLAY!!!!! One day we won't be able to anymore and I'll have lots of hours to quilt, read, clean, whatever. Thank you for your encouragment on this very hot evening.

BahamaDawn said...

you are so right!!!
i dont have kids but i have rescue dogs, and i am so upset when they are gone, so instead of getting upset at them for wanting to play, when i want to quilt, i will make the decision to give them the time they need.
thanks for this post!
we all need to slow down and enjoy life and stop trying to fit everything in!

Julie Johnson said...

So very true. I'm exhausted at the end of each day, BUT, so happy that I'm home with them having fun and making memories all day long. Today I let go a bit, and it was so much better. Tomorrow we'll set the timer and tackle a few of the rooms for a bit. Then we'll play and swim, and enjoy just being together....glad I found your blog!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

those are the truest words!! i'm with you.

Appleshoe said...

So true, so sweet. I adore the picture and long for the day when I can do the same. You are truly blessed. Take care.

Bold In The Soul said...

Chris, when you pray for patience, and pray for patience your prayers have been answered as you wait.....patiently for the patience. :)

And can I ask, when did you EVER wear that color lipstick, I would love to see that!! Hilarious!
M

Kelly Warren said...

Amen, sister.

Sewn With Grace said...

You are so right. So much of our attitudes and the way we respond are the results of the decisions we've made. I have one in college and one in high school. I miss those days of smelly boys and dried up play dough stuck in unusual places (and I didn't think I would miss it). Be blessed! AND, don't be so hard on yourself!

Tasha Horsley said...

that was the best post chrissie! it seriously made me teary. i know what you mean about everything you said!! it is so hard to balance kids and work and know how to let go of the work and messes and just be. especially when the work is pretty fun! but then again, so is jumping on the trampoline or swimming in the pool! :)

with my oldest now 13, it has made me and my hubby realize how fast time really goes by. in just 5 years, he'll be on his way out of the house. makes me worried and sad. am i being a good enough mom? i hope.

ENJOY your weekend! ;)